Cuban Style Pork and Sweet Potato Slow Cooker Stew with Wild Rice
I had this in the slow cooker during one of my busy baking days last week when I knew most of my night would have been spent on NOT cooking dinner. This is another Weight Watchers recipe. This is a seven point dish for a cup and a half of the stew, which is A LOT of food …and a very good use of points. This point count does not include the wild rice which is about 2 points for half a cup of wild rice. This is super tasty and filling, definitely a great slow cooker recipe you will have to try on one of your busy days.
I added a couple extra things to my stew such as 2 jalapenos and a large red onion. I like my food spicy as you can see by the chili pepper flakes!
Here’s the recipe since I won’t be able to link to the WW site.
- 1 pound(s) uncooked sweet potato(es), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I kept the peel on)
- 1 pound(s) uncooked lean only pork loin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, with green chiles
- 1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/4 cup(s) unsweetened orange juice
- 2 medium uncooked scallion(s), chopped (green parts only)
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Durkee ground cumin, or other brand, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
**I added the following extra ingredients:
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- Large red onion, chopped
- Chili pepper flakes
- Wild rice, prepared in rice cooker
- Place potatoes, pork, tomatoes, garlic, orange juice, scallions, salt, cumin and pepper in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker; cover and cook on low setting for 7 hours.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro; cover slow cooker and cook for 5 minutes more. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving (including some cooking liquid).
I have been trying to eat healthier but all of this holiday feasting has not been helping! There’s always tomorrow for dieting :)